Monday, March 28, 2011

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

This is an amazing video by Dr. Lustig on the insidious food additive, high fructose corn syrup, or HFCS. It's long, but worth the effort to anyone who has a desire to stop sugar.

1 comment:

  1. I'm now into week 3 of sugar freedom. May God help me stay this way. I feel so different. I have a positive attitude, feel excited getting up in the morning and going about my day. Hunger pangs are all but gone. I make sure I have a snack--a piece of fruit, cheese or nuts with me. I finished Connie Bennet's book for the second time. Now I'm reading Katherine Des Maisons' book, The Sugar Addicts Guide to Recovery. At first, her book seemed like a crock of shit because she recommends bread and triscuits. But as I get into the book, that's in the early phases of her program. The idea is to get people into the habit of journaling, eating protein at every meal, and eating a potato every day. To me, eating a potato every day is just wrong. But the book eventually counsels to people to get off sugar and refined carbs.

    The first week it didn't look like I'd lost any weight at all. Then, after two weeks, I weighed again and had lost about 4 lbs. I like my body now. My clothes fit better. My muffin top around my waist is gone, and I don't feel like I'm pregnant when I take a shower. I had athlete's foot for a long time, and it's gone now with no treatment other than talcum powder.

    The human body acts like a brewery. It needs sugar and refined carbs to operate. When it doesn't get fed, the body gets angry, and the brain will do anything for the next fix. When that cycle gets broken, which takes a week or so, the brewery shuts down. The cravings subside, and the bloating and sluggishness disappear. Things work properly.

    Sugar and carbs are insidious. They are an addiction that tell me I don't have an addiction. Every damn time, they will tell me I can have just a little and then stop. But my body reacts to it the way an alcoholic's does to alcohol. Once I introduce it into my system, I don't know how the binge is going to end. I might stay "drunk" for another two years. . .

    ReplyDelete