I'm re-reading Connie Bennett's book, Sugar Shock. In the foreword by Dr. Nicholas Perricone, he says that most of his patients do best with an 80/20 approach to sugar. That is, they eat healthily 80 percent of the time, allowing themselves to indulge 20% of the time. But, he says, he doesn't recommend this 80/20 approach to people with a compelling reason not to eat sugar, such as diabetes or hypoglycemia. Those people react to sugar the way an alcoholic does to alcohol. Even a small amount--one taste--leads to a second, third, fourth, and ultimately, a binge. That's me.
For so many years, I've been trying to find that "easier, softer way." Trying to find balance. Trying to "control" it. It doesn't work. It doesn't work. It doesn't work.
Normally, I'm starved within two hours of eating breakfast, even though my typical breakfast is "healthy." Old fashioned oatmeal, milk, a boiled egg, banana. Today, I pile-drove water--3 liters in the morning, and had only the oatmeal and some melon and berries, and I honestly wasn't that hungry at lunchtime. I had an apple and some strawberries this afternoon, and was fine until dinnertime, which today didn't come until about 9:30.
I've got to be paranoid about the sugar. Scott made spaghetti--white pasta (out), ground beef, and canned diced tomatoes. Checked the label on the can of tomatoes. Sugar in it. Out. So, I stuck to the boiled cabbage with a piece of cheese, and another apple.
Basically, it's water, whole grains, fruits and vegetables for today. My beloved whole-grain pita bread and Wasa crackers are out. Can't give up my oatmeal or brown rice, though. Even though Connie says we should for the first three weeks.
Monday, March 28, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment