Sunday, November 29, 2009

Sugar-free Sunday

A blog about what someone eats. Or doesn't. How exciting! I write about this only because addictions have had such a hold on my life. I know that other people are slaves to habits as well. I'm interested in exploring what drives addiction. It's always emotion. The addiction is a symptom of a deeper spiritual malady. When I'm lonely, angry, depressed, sad, or under any kind of stress, stuffing my face with junk food is one way not to feel pain. Sugar is bad for me because I can never eat enough of it to fill the void. The fix is temporary. It doesn't last. I find it impossible to control the urge to overeat it, because once I taste it, I feel compelled to eat the whole store. What's so hard about giving it up?

1) Social pressure. Eating is a social activity. It's fun, and it is a way of connecting with others.
2) Good food is good! It's meant to be enjoyed.
3) Omnipresence of sugar and refined carbs. These foods dominate in the American diet.
4) Healthy food requires planning and forethought.

I want to enjoy good food, and I don't want to feel deprived or like I am missing something. Not eat cake on my birthday, or pumpkin pie on Thanksgiving? I'm thinking, NFW! It's all about choice.

There's an interesting book, or series of books, by someone named Doug Kaufman, about a yeast-free diet. He likens the metabolism of a carb-addicted person to a still or microbrewery. It needs continuous feeding. If we can put out the fire, the cravings disappear.

It's only been one carb-free day this time, and the microbrewery is still operational. I still feel the cravings for starchy, sugary food. I had eggs and bacon, soup made from leftover turkey and lots of fresh vegetables, and lots of water today. When I came home tonight, I had some frozen berries (strawberries and raspberries) with chopped walnuts and a little whipping cream. It sure was good! Unlike ice cream, this treat doesn't have me going back again and again for second, third, fourth (you get the idea) portions!

I came home from church angry today. The minister and her husband have a 10-year old daughter who is ill-mannered. She doesn't greet people, lies down in the pews with her shoes on the cushions, interrupts conversations, and is generally disagreeable. I can't understand why her parents don't correct her. But (and please observe my "but") she's not my daughter, and I can't say anything. It's none of my business. I'm powerless! Sometimes the realization that I'm powerless makes me want to eat. But rather than do that, I think it's better to try to deal with the emotion. I know that I can apply the same technique to my emotions that I apply to cravings--I pray them away. I repeat the Lord's Prayer, or the Serenity Prayer--anything to distract myself. The words comfort me. A burger, fries, and shake would do the trick too, but this way, I don't disappear into a fog afterwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment